Access Legal Psilocybin-Assisted Therapy
Psilocybin-assisted psychotherapy is the professionally guided use of psilocybin in combination with psychotherapy.
Research has shown that psilocybin therapy can improve the quality of life and end-of-life care for individuals experiencing anxiety, depression, and hopelessness as a result of a life-threatening diagnosis.
TheraPsil helps patients access legal psilocybin-assisted therapy by applying to the Minister of Health for a 'section 56 exemption'. TheraPsil then connects approved patients with therapists trained in psilocybin-assisted therapy to facilitate their treatment.
If you are suffering from existential distress as a result of a past or present terminal or life-threatening diagnosis, please click the button below to fill out a secure form, and get in touch with us!
As of March 2021, TheraPsil has assisted 27 Canadians from several different provinces in accessing this legal treatment option. We look forward to helping you too!
TheraPsil has supported individuals like Thomas Hartle, who has been diagnosed with stage 4 cancer. Thomas was the first individual to be treated with legal, psilocybin therapy in Canada (since psilocybin was made illegal in 1974).
The below video was recorded the day after Thomas's psilocybin session. Here he describes how the treatment he received has had a positive impacted on his perception of living with a life-threatening cancer diagnosis.
Why psilocybin-assisted psychotherapy?
All around the world groundbreaking research has been and is being done regarding psilocybin-therapy. This research has shown the effectiveness of psilocybin in combination with skilled psychotherapy to reduce depression, anxiety, and end-of-life distress for those living with a terminal illness, in palliative care or who are experiencing distress as a result of a life-threatening illness.
Foundational studies on psilocybin-assisted psychotherapy can be found at the following links:
How TheraPsil helps?
TheraPsil supports Canadians experiencing end-of-life distress / distress as a result of a life-threatening illness, to exercise their charter right to seek compassionate treatment using psilocybin, through application for exemption of section 56(1) of the controlled substances and drug act (CDSA).
These are the steps you may follow with our team:
- Check whether you qualify (see criteria below) & contact us
- Discuss with TheraPsil's clinical team about if psilocybin therapy is right for you
- If eligible, we will provide materials and support for your section 56 exemption application
- Wait for a response and/or approval of your section 56 exemption to access psilocybin-therapy. The current wait time for response/ approval of applications by the Minister of Health is roughly 10 days from time of submission.
Do you qualify for TheraPsil’s Support?
If you meet all of the requirements below, you may qualify to be supported by TheraPsil in an application to the Minister of Health. If the Minister grants the application, you may further qualify for psilocybin-assisted psychotherapy.
- 19+ Resident of Canada, with a terminal diagnosis OR in remission from a life-threatening diagnosis (i.e cancer survivor) and/or receiving palliative care
- As a result of your past or present life-threatening diagnosis, you experience psychological distress (anxiety/depression/demoralization)
- You are interested in trying psilocybin therapy and have identified a potential supply of psilocybin mushrooms
- Your emotional distress has not successfully responded to other treatments
Please understand that unless your application for exemption is granted, TheraPsil is unable to provide a referral to therapists who provide psilocybin-therapy.
Note: Psilocybin-assisted psychotherapy is not for everyone. Our screening processes serve to keep your unique situation in focus as we work together to determine if it is appropriate to proceed with the application.
If you believe you may qualify to have TheraPsil support an application, please get in touch with us for more information.
Please check your spam folder for our emails!
Please Note: We are committed to completely legal behavior in our advocacy of psilocybin for medical purposes. Recommending the therapeutic use of a psychedelic substance, providing psychedelic psychotherapy, or referring an individual to a therapist for psychedelic therapy is currently illegal, as these actions can open us to the criminal charge of aiding and abetting the possession of a controlled substance.