Refer a Patient
Do you have a patient who might benefit from psilocybin therapy?
If you are caring for a patient who has been diagnosed with a life-threatening or terminal illness and is suffering from end of life distress (anxiety, depression, demoralization, hopelessness), you may consider recommending psilocybin therapy as an alternative or complementary treatment option.
Psilocybin-assisted psychotherapy refers to the professionally guided use of psilocybin in combination with psychotherapy.
It involves a rigorous and clinically tested treatment protocol that encompasses careful medical oversight of the treatment session, as well as pre- and post-psychotherapy sessions that help prepare an individual for lasting healing.
Research from leading organizations such as Johns Hopkins, NYU and UCLA indicates that psilocybin-assisted psychotherapy is a safe and effective treatment option for those suffering from existential distress.
“A single moderate-dose psilocybin (in conjunction with psychotherapy) was safely administered to a cohort of patients with cancer-related psychological distress (e.g. anxiety, depression). It produced rapid and sustained anxiolytic and anti-depressant effects (for at least 7 weeks but potentially as long as 8 months), decreased cancer-related existential distress, increased spiritual wellbeing and quality of life, and was associated with improved attitudes towards death. The psilocybin-induced mystical experience mediated the anxiolytic and anti-depressant effects of psilocybin. Psilocybin, administered in conjunction with appropriate psychotherapy, could become a novel pharmacological-psychosocial treatment modality for cancer-related psychological and existential distress.” - Ross et.al, 2016
How can TheraPsil help?
TheraPsil assists patients who are suffering from end of life distress to access legal, psilocybin assisted psychotherapy.
We do this by supporting patients with an application to the Minister of Health, Patty Hajdu, so they may receive an exemption (section 56 exemption) to the Canadian Drugs & Substances allowing them to use psilocybin (magic mushrooms) for a therapeutic purpose.
Once approved, TheraPsil connects patients with a therapist who is trained in psilocybin-assisted psychotherapy and who can facilitate their treatment, including pre integration sessions, the medecine session, and post integration sessions.
Is this legal?
Psilocybin is still a controlled substance under the Canadian Drugs and Substances Act. However, we help patients apply for special exemptions to the CDSA, on compassionate grounds, so that they may legally use and possess psilocybin (magic mushrooms) for medical purposes.
TheraPsil has been successful in obtaining these exemptions for Canadians suffering from end of life distress, as of August 4th 2020, and we have successfully treated patients across Canada.
What is the process?
If you think that psilocybin therapy might be a suitable treatment option for your patient please follow these steps:
- Check if your patient qualifies using the eligibility criteria below:
- 19+ Resident of Canada, with a terminal diagnosis OR in remission from a life-threatening diagnosis (i.e cancer survivor) and/or receiving palliative care
- As a result of your past or present life-threatening diagnosis, you experience psychological distress (anxiety/depression/demoralization)
- You are interested in trying psilocybin therapy and have identified a potential supply of psilocybin mushrooms
- Your emotional distress has not successfully responded to other treatments
- If your patient meets the above initial criteria, please fill out the form below:
- We will respond within 24 business hours to discuss how you can support your patient with their application to the Minister of Health, for an exemption to access psilocybin therapy, and answer any questions you have about this process and treatment option.