TheraPsil’s fundamental mission is to provide access to psilocybin-assisted psychotherapy for Canadians in medical need. Our primary functions are patient-rights advocacy, assessment, and referral.
To this end, we recognize the importance of developing a pool of suitably trained and trusted TheraPsil Psychotherapy Associates to whom we can refer patients.
We are dedicated to clinical, academic, and ethical excellence in psychedelic treatment. We understand that this requires equitable access for all clinicians to our training program so that our patients have access to a diverse range of therapists. We respect and welcome diversity, and warmly encourage members of ethnic, BIPOC, LGBTQIA2S+, gender, religious, and other underserved or marginalized communities to apply.
Our training goal is that our graduates are fully prepared to safely and effectively guide clients through all aspects of a therapeutic psilocybin experience.
UPDATE: Hundreds of healthcare professionals enrolled in TheraPsil's Psilocybin-Assisted Training Program have been denied access to psilocybin for experiential learning. TheraPsil is now representing these healthcare professionals, and in September 2023, a federal court's judicial review decision went against them. However, our team is determined to pursue justice and is appealing the decision; TheraPsil remains committed to supporting practitioners with applying for legal access to psilocybin through Section 56 exemptions, a unique aspect of the training program. To date, TheraPsil has successfully trained over 500 healthcare professionals across Canada and the USA.
- A medical degree (MD, RN), or a graduate degree (MA, PhD) in psychology, counseling psychology, or a closely related field such as psychiatric social work, psychiatric nursing or occupational therapy with a psychotherapy license;
- Current good standing as a professional member of a provincial clinical counseling or psychotherapy association having a Code of Ethics and a disciplinary body;
Requirements 1 and 2 above may be relaxed to allow those in the process of completing a graduate clinical degree or professional registration, and credentialed spiritual/pastoral counsellors to attend a seminar in situations where a cohort is short one or two fully qualified clinical entrants prior to delivery.
- Preference will be given to applicants who already have some personal or professional psychedelic experience;
- Preference will be given to those with palliative care experience;
- Each applicant will be admitted to the training program following a successful interview with the Director of Training and Operations to assess personal and professional suitability.
- Graduation Requirements
In order to graduate as a TheraPsil Associate, you must complete the following:
- Completion of in-person training seminar (Units 1-10) Full attendance is required;
- Certification of completion of readings and videos;
- Completion of a Learning Journal. (a daily journal in which trainees write one page
max. at the end of each seminar day. This journal will be reviewed by the trainer at
the end of the seminar. (Optional - This requirement is at the discretion of the trainer).
- Personal psychedelic experience (Unit 11);
- Clinical Supervision (Unit 12);
- Documentation of a minimum five years of experience as a full-time mental health clinician;
- At the conclusion of training, learners will meet individually (in-person or by Zoom) with faculty for a final individualized assessment session involving all aspects of trainee learning. Trainees assessed as ready for practice will be awarded a certificate of completion and be granted Clinical Associate status with TheraPsil.
- Trainees who were permitted to attend a seminar without fulfilling entrance requirements 1 and 2 above must fulfil those requirements before they may be advanced to Provisional Associate or Clinical Associate status.
- Seminar 30
- Readings/videos 50
- Experiential (Unit 11) 43
- Supervision (Unit 12) 10
- Ethics by Kylea Taylor 3
- Indigenous Teachings by Dr. Duncan Grady 1.5
- Neuropharmacology by Jag Deol 2.5
Total of 140 hours
Certificates & Professional Designations
- A qualified professional accepted into our program becomes a TheraPsil Affiliate by committing to complete our training program. TheraPsil will then support their applications to Health Canada for access to psilocybin to be used in the course of their training;
- Therapist trainees who have fully attended the 30-hour seminar and certified that they have completed all required readings and videos may receive (upon request) a certificate of completion of 86 hours of didactic instruction in TheraPsil’s Psilocybin-Assisted Psychotherapy Training Program.
- Trainees who have completed all units except the Unit 12 supervision requirement may be granted the status of Provisional Associate by their trainer. This status allows the trainee’s name to be placed on an approved Provisional Associate list from TheraPsil, and to function as a primary therapist on condition that they agree to actively pursue completion of their Unit 12 supervision requirement.
- Therapist trainees graduate from our program when they have successfully completed all twelve training units. Graduate psychotherapists will be awarded a certificate of completion of 139 hours our training in psilocybin-assisted psychotherapy. This certificate identifies the graduate as a TheraPsil Psychotherapy Associate, and their names will be entered into TheraPsil’s register of graduate clinicians. This register is made available to prospective patients seeking treatment.
- Nurses and social workers without psychotherapy experience and Spiritual Practitioners who seek to be co sitters who have completed Modules 1-11 will be awarded a certificate of completion for 129 hours of training that identifies them as a TheraPsil Affiliated Co-Sitter.
- Graduate MDs and Nurse Practitioners without psychotherapy experience who complete Modules 1-11 will be awarded a certificate of completion of 129 hours in assessment for psilocybin-assisted psychotherapy. This certificate will identify them as a TheraPsil Medical Associate, and their names will be entered into TheraPsil’s register of prescribers. This register is made available to prospective patients seeking assessment or prescribing.
Frequently Asked Training Questions:
Why Choose TheraPsil?
Training Program Overview
Accreditation & Associations
Instructors & Facilitators
Logistics & Policies
TheraPsil Training Bursary
TheraPsil is dedicated to prioritizing safe containers of healing for all Canadians in medical need, which begins with strengthening equitable access to our psilocybin therapy training program. As such, we will prioritize diverse and balanced cohorts as it pertains to BIPOC, LGBTQ+, as well as other self-identified non-dominant group applicants, who also meet the above eligibility criteria. We have reserved a minimum of 30% of training cohort spots for BIPOC, LGBTQ+, and other self-identified non-dominant group applicants.
"Our training program is designed to train healthcare providers in how to safely and effectively guide a client on a therapeutic psilocybin experience. While a scholarly and didactic foundation is essential, the focus for our training is on the therapeutic skills required to achieve that objective. After 30+ years as a practicing therapist, I have felt firsthand the limitations of my field to consistently relieve people of the often devastating symptoms of conditions like depression, addiction, and PTSD. Psychedelic therapy is showing promise to significantly increase our effectiveness for these clinical populations. But it is a new way of treating clients so we must learn these new ways - this is what our training hopes to do.”
- Dave Phillips, Clinical Counsellor, TheraPsil Training Beta-Program Lead Facilitator
"A big thank you to Yasmeen and TheraPsil team for the fantastic Fundamentals of Psychedelic-Assisted Psychotherapy Program that I recently completed. As a physician but also an educator I was impressed with not only the quality of the information provided but also by the highly interactive and innovative ways in which the material was delivered. I would recommend this program for other physicians (and non-physicians) interested in learning more about the role of psychedelic-assisted psychotherapy for our patients and clients.”
- Dr. Fraser M Black, MD CCFP(PC) FCFP
Clinical Professor - Faculty of Medicine UBC
Palliative Care and Inner-City Medicine Physician
"What a rich and informative workshop! It’s a tall order bringing together clinical experience with medical knowledge and research, and still hold onto the heart and spirituality that often go hand in hand with this work. Bruce makes it look easy. He brings a level of insight, experience, compassion, humility and creativity to teaching that I have rarely seen. Thank you so much Bruce!”
- Tracy Lowe
MA, CCC, FAMI
Canadian Certified Counsellor
Accredited GIM Practitioner
"TheraPsil has provided me with exceptional training, support and guidance! Team is made up of dedicated and passionate humans determined to make a positive impact. Could not have had a better training experience.”
- Julie S.
"TheraPsil’s training is top tier! I had the opportunity to undergo training as part of a recent cohort and for those looking to equip themselves with the necessary knowledge, tools and hands-on experience to deliver compassionate, timely care to their clients, look no further - this is your place. Those on their team are all helpful, cheery and extremely passionate about their cause.”
- Dan R.
"I had a really great experience with the TheraPsil training program. They’re a very kind and supportive community and I highly recommend this organization.”
- Victoria R.
"Recently attended a training session held by Therapsil and I can’t recommend it enough. Psilocybin therapy is intimidatingly nuanced and nebulous given its infancy, and their training made the topic digestible and understandable.”
- Sam D.
"The training validated, affirmed and expanded my knowledge of psychedelic science and how to offer support.”
- Olga N.
"Rich showed up and facilitated in such a genuine, authentic and playful way. He was extremely knowledgeable in the content and made learning fun and easy to understand with practical examples and hands-on experience. Thank you Rich & thank you TheraPsil!”
"Rich is a great instructor with the ability to keep you engaged in the content. The speakers were a great addition to the training. I enjoyed the location, as I travelled from out of town & the food options were healthy and local. I recommend the Kingston location with Rich!”
"Rich, I just want to let you know how much I appreciate the care and consideration you take with your trainings. All the small details really make a difference. I want you to know they don’t go unnoticed. So thank you for the kindness and generosity.”
"TheraPsil is the most compassionate non profit. They helped a friend of mine get access to psilocybin, a life changing experience for both of us. Thank you!”
- Harry U.
"Great organization. Full of kind and caring people. Can’t recommend enough!”
- Sophia J.
"Absolutely kind and caring organization advocating to legalize psilocybin use to improve quality of life for patients receiving medical care.”
"A wonderful and thoughtful training, rich in personal and professional growth, among like minded colleagues. A true privilege, thank you to TheraPsil and the trainer, Dr. Stephan.”
"Nous voulions apprendre. Et nous avons appris beaucoup. Et pas seulement au niveau rationnel. J’ai appris à me connaître davantage. Avec plus de profond. J’ai été touché par l’histoire des autres et par l’ensemble des expériences humaines. Tout ça me donne de l’espoir. Celui de changer les choses et de faire partie de quelque chose de plus grand.”
"Great balance between theory, practice & guest speakers.”
"TheraPsil has created an instructive workshop covering most areas of the topic balancing quite respectfully and graciously the clinical data and the more sociological, traditional aspects of the use of psilocybin.”
"Dr. Ingrid & Jane are both experienced and open. Grateful to these pioneer women.”
- Jessie Dhaliwal
"Ingrid and Jane were so in tune with our group…they created a great “set” & “setting” for this workshop to be such an incredible experiential opportunity. Plus, the connections that were made are invaluable, proving once again the power of this work done within community.”