TheraPsil's Training Program
"Our training program is designed to train healthcare providers in how to safely and effectively guide a client on a therapeutic psilocybin experience. While a scholarly and didactic foundation is essential, the focus for our training is on the therapeutic skills required to achieve that objective. After 30+ years as a practicing therapist, I have felt firsthand the limitations of my field to consistently relieve people of the often devastating symptoms of conditions like depression, addiction, and PTSD. Psychedelic therapy is showing promise to significantly increase our effectiveness for these clinical populations. But it is a new way of treating clients so we must learn these new ways - this is what our training hopes to do.”
- Dave Phillips, Clinical Counsellor, TheraPsil Training Beta-Program Lead Facilitator
TheraPsil’s fundamental mission is to provide access to psilocybin-assisted psychotherapy to Canadians in medical need. Our primary functions are patient-rights advocacy, assessment and referral.
To this end, we recognize the importance of developing a pool of suitably trained and trusted TheraPsil Clinical Associates to whom we can refer patients.
TheraPsil has created a training curriculum as the required context in which trainees may legally use psilocybin as part of their professional training, previously announced in December 2020.
UPDATE: On March 1st, 2021 TheraPsil launched the beta-version of their training program, which will be used to inform future iterations, rolled out across Canada. More information can be found here, in the press release.
PLEASE NOTE: This curriculum is being evaluated by our beta-training program team, and may be subject to change.
TheraPsil is approved by the Canadian Psychological Association to offer 160 hours of continuing education credits for psychologists. TheraPsil maintains responsibility for the program. Some other organizations may accept these CE credits, so please verify with your regulatory body to see if you are eligible for these credits.
- A medical degree (MD, RN), or a graduate degree (MA, PhD) in psychology, counselling psychology, or a closely related field;
- Current good standing as a Canadian professional member of a provincial clinical counselling or psychotherapy association having a Code of Ethics and a disciplinary body;
- Minimum five years experience as a full-time mental health clinician;
- Preference will be given to applicants who already have some personal or professional psychedelic experience;
- Preference will be given to those with palliative care experience
- Each applicant will be admitted to the training program following a successful interview with the Director of Training and Operations to assess personal and
TheraPsil is dedicated to prioritizing safe containers of healing for all Canadians in medical need, which begins with strengthening equitable access to our psilocybin therapy training program. As such, we will prioritize diverse and balanced cohorts as it pertains to BIPOC, LGBTQ+, as well as other self-identified non-dominant group applicants, who also meet the above eligibility criteria. We have reserved a minimum of 30% of training cohort spots for BIPOC, LGBTQ+, and other self-identified non-dominant group applicants.
Join the waiting list
If you are interested in learning more about how to apply to future cohorts of TheraPsil's training program, when available, please fill out the following form: